I confess — for me, the most interesting reading in the Bloggernacle this week has been the steady stream of mainstream media articles popping up in my FLDS News sidebar, as the MSM struggles both to get the facts (no small feat) and to figure out the story (which, honestly, will take years). In coming years there will be a stream of books on this whole bizarre episode, and if Krakauer doesn't write a sequel to Under the Banner of Heaven called Under the Texan Sun he will have missed a fine opportunity.
Anyway, here are a few links to ponder:
- "FLDS children in Texas custody reportedly hospitalized" at the SL Trib. Not that anyone at Texas CPS seems too concerned. I'm sure children in their custody could start dying and they would still trumpet their good intentions and blame the FLDS mothers.
- "Texans rally to help sect members" at the SL Trib, the first story I've seen giving honest portrayals of the confused but sympathetic reaction of some of the locals.
- "What Did the FLDS Kids Do To Deserve This?" at CBS News, an opinion piece by Ben Stein calling events in Texas "an Orwellian nightmare" and likening the conduct of Texas authorities to "Gestapo tactics pure and simple."
- "Sweep of polygamists' kids raises legal questions" at AP. There's an appellate hearing scheduled for Tuesday that should address some of these legal questions. [Update: Tuesday hearing cancelled.]
- And then there's always Kirby.